RAWANG, Jan 31: The Central Area Reinforcement (CAR) Project conflict, which had been going on for nearly eight years was ultimately resolved as a result of an agreement between the Government of Selangor and Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).
This means the homes of Kampung Sungai Terentang residents, schools, and other buildings in the 60-year-old village will not be destroyed to make way for the CAR project, and residents will not have to move elsewhere.
As a result of negotiations with the Government of Selangor, TNB agreed to find an alternative route for the high-tension electric cable towers which does not cut across the village occupied by 5,000 people, said Selayang MP William Leong.
“TNB’s eight year long problem was settled in a meeting with the Chief Minister (Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim) and Excos.
“This is a good result. We reached a consensus with TNB. Before this the residents and consultants had given suggestions (alternative routes).
“TNB also gave their alternative. They have now proposed a new route,” said William at a news conference here, today.
In a meeting yesterday, Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) asked TNB to find an alternative route as the original alignment plan for the project did not meet the criteria set by the State Government.
The three criteria set by the Government of Selangor are: CAR does not cut across Kampung Sungai Terentang, schools (SJKC Sam Yuk), and the Rawang-Ipoh main road.
According to William, TNB will run a technical study to identify the new route for the project.
This is proof of the caring nature of the State Government which is sensitive to the people’s problems and wants to ensure their well-being.
This result will in turn save the positions of Kampung Batu 16 and Batu 16 Rawang National Secondary School.
In the meantime, Kampung Sungai Terentang JKKK (Village Security and Development Committee) Chairman Goh Ah Kow is happy with this decision and hopes that the controversial project will be completed immediately.
Previously, residents of Kampung Sungai Terentang protested against the CAR project as the alignment for the high-tension electric cable towers will cut through their village.
It was previously reported that dozens of families in the village will face the risk of cancer, leukemia and complications of pregnancy due to living under high-tension electric cables.
If TNB were to go through with the original alignment of CAR, it would have to demolish residents’ homes, fields, community halls, religious buildings and business premises.
However, the original plan had been blocked by the Selangor Pakatan Rakyat Government who negotiated with TNB to find alternative routes that will not affect the village.
To help TNB to find a new route, the Government of Selangor appointed Aecom engineering consulting company from New Zealand.