KUALA LUMPUR, 8 Jan: The People’s Uprising Assembly (HKR) this Saturday is another test whether Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak truly fulfilled all promises made during the Bersih 3.0 rally in April, last year.
At that time, Najib proposed to the Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections (BERSIH) NGO for the BERSIH 3.0 mega rally to be held at Merdeka Stadium.
Najib made the proposal to avoid the BERSIH 3.0 rally from being held at Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka).
Chairman of the HKR Organising Committee, Mohamad Sabu said that apart from its strategic location and being able to accommodate tens of thousands of attendees, Pakatan Rakyat chose the stadium after considering the proposal which was made by Najib.
“The ball is not at the PM’s feet, it is up to him whether promises are fulfilled or not,” said Mohamad in an interview with TV Selangor.
The assembly which will potentially attract hundreds of thousands of participants is expected to be held in Kuaa Lumpur.
So far, Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), the company managing the historical stadium, has yet to give permission to PR to use the site.
This is despite PR’s application to rent the site.
Last April, about 250,000 people participated in the BERSIH 3.0 rally which happened in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.
Mohamad also said that as of now, the police has fully cooperated with the organisers of the rally concerned.
“According to the new Assembly Act, this assembly does not need a permit, we only have to inform about and the police have already contacted me twice and so far, the cooperation form the police has been rather good.
“The police requested that a letter of approval from the stadium management to be handed to the police,” he added.