KUALA LUMPUR, June 14: The #Blackout505 assembly will still be held here at Padang Merbok even though the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) does not want to work together with the organisers, said Pandan MP, Rafizi Ramli.
Rafizi said that the alternative offered by DBKL, which is Merdeka Stadium, is not suitable for the rally because its space is limited.
The decision to reject the offer of the Merdeka Stadium was also taken after PR considered the safety factor due to the size of the assembly which is unsuitable for indoor areas.
On 12 February, Merdeka Stadium failed to accommodate the influx of over 100,000 participants during the 112 People’s Uprising Assembly.
The crowded and confined atmosphere in the stadium caused more than half of the participants to not be able to enter the stadium.
Rafizi also claimed that the reasons given by DBKL to reject the application to organise the assembly was deliberately done.
“First, Padang Merbok was being use for light sports and social activities. Our assembly is also considered a social activity.
“Second – the landscape, third – development is underway for a bicycle path and fourth – the traffic,” said Rafizi after attending a meeting with the Mayor of Kuala Lumpur, Datuk Ahmad Phesal Talib at the DBKL tower this morning.
Rafizi also express disappointment for DBKL’s failure to be more tolerant towards PR seeing that previously, the coalition agreed with DBKL’s requirement to not use the Independence Square and to change the date of the rally from 15 June to 22 June.
Besides Rafizi and Ahmad Phesal, also at the meeting which lasted around 45 minutes were Sungai Petani MP, Datuk Johari Abdul, the Dang Wangi Police Chief, ASP Zainuddin Ahmad, MP for Bukit Bintang, Fong Kui Lun and Coordinator for Youth Solidarity malaysia, Badrul Hisham Shaharin.